CLICK HERE FOR THOUSANDS OF FREE BLOGGER TEMPLATES »

Sunday, December 9, 2007

Santa Came Early This Year!


Rick and I aren't "New Car" people.

A little history........

In December of 1999, Rick and I bought a 2000 Hyundai Elantra. It had 31 miles on it. It was my first new car, and Rick's too. I loved it. I thought that I was so cool. I just knew people were envious of my new car. I was 19, and I was stupid.

A few years later and the lesson was learned. We wanted a different car. A 2002 Subaru WRX (our bright blue car that we currently own). However, we had to many miles on the Elantra to sell it for more than what we owed.

We had to get rid of it though because a stray cat had pee'd in it. Without getting into details, it was totally my fault, and the stray cat should never have been in the car. We had to trade it in for right at what we owe'd. It was terrible. Like buying the WRX for what we owe'd. We didn't like making the car payment and we were putting too many miles on the WRX just like we had the Elantra.

So we bought a 1988 Cadillac Deville in April of 2004. It was my car. It was super comfortable. I was pregnant with Heidi and it didn't have air conditioning. I didn't drive much that summer. The Cadiallac ended up being a piece of junk. We donated it to "Cars for Kids" just to get the $500 tax break on our taxes.

The Caddy served it's purpose though. It proved to me that I can drive an old beater car and life goes on. No one pointed at me and laughed (that I saw anyway). No one made fun of me and no one quit being my friend (although Steph didn't really like riding in it at first).

From there we got our current 1986 Chrysler Fifth Avenue which we bought with 66,xxx miles on it. I love that car. 2 years later it has 80,xxx miles on it and other than tires and a voltage regulator, we haven't put any money in it. It's like it came with a 21 year warranty.

Last Thursday, Rick stops in to the studio and says "Do you want a new car for Christmas?" Heck Yeah! I DO...... Now by "new", I knew that he meant "new to me". , but still.

I am now the proud new owner of a 1988 Mercury Grand Marquis with 26,xxx miles on it. 26,xxx miles. TWENTY-SIX THOUSAND MILES! that's it.

I love old people. I love my new car. Even RJ says "the new blue car is Awesome!" Heidi says "Yep, Awesome." (RJ says he wants it when he turns 16. I think Rick will hold him to that)

-a
:)

2 comments:

lindemrm said...

Actually, it may still be a little too nice for him, he may have to settle for buying the 5th avenue from us, we'll see what the next 11 years bring...

Rebekah said...

I LOVE LOVE LOVE IT! That you don't have to drive a new car! What is with that anyway?!

Lovin' the no car payment, sista!!!